We selected April 26 as our opening day way back in September of 2013, and now it’s almost here! We are nearly caught up from the challenges that the winter weather threw at us, and our staff is in high gear prepping for opening day. Here’s a list of what we’re doing this week:
- Exhibits are getting minor repairs and new paint jobs on warm days.
- Rides are being cleaned and “un-winterized” to prepare for the required state inspection they undergo every year. This winter provided a few hurdles: the Australian Adventure River Ride finally thawed at the end of March! This week, crews are reinstalling the Sky Safari ride chairs. (See the photo gallery below.)
- Landscaping crews are mulching the zoo’s many flower beds.
- New employees are being trained to take on their new tasks.
- Zoo favorites like the Lion Drinking Fountain get a makeover to look their best in your family photos!
- Last but not least, the animals who have been living in warm indoor quarters will move into their outdoor enclosures next week.
All of the staff and volunteers at the Fort Wayne Children’s Zoo are counting down the days to April 26. We hope you’ll join us in making 2014 the best zoo season ever!
Click on the images below to enlarge: