Veterinary Medicine Externship
Support the zoo’s veterinary department by assisting with animal care, procedures, and hospital maintenance. The externship is designed to introduce the student to the field of zoo/exotic veterinary medicine. The extern will report directly to the zoo’s veterinarian.
- Assist veterinary staff with routine procedures (immobilizations, physical exams, treatments, etc) as well as emergency procedures, with emphasis on duties performed by the veterinarian.
- Assist veterinary technicians with hospital and equipment cleaning and maintenance as needed.
- Assist keeper staff with daily care of animals housed at the veterinary hospital or in quarantine as needed.
- Work on other tasks or special projects as needed.
- Responsibilities will be dependent on the applicant’s experience and skills.
- Applicants must be enrolled in Veterinary School.
- Applicants should have a long-term interest in exotic animals, and be experienced and comfortable with dealing with domestic species. Experience with exotic species is preferred, but not required.
- Applicants must be available to work at least 30 hrs/wk (40 hrs/wk preferred) and must be able to work a flexible schedule.
- A negative tuberculin skin test must be performed within one year of the start date.
- Current rabies, hepatitis B, and tetanus vaccinations are recommended.
Externships are available all year. The largest volume and diversity of clinical procedures occur in the winter months. Externships will last a minimum of 4-6 weeks, depending on the student’s requirements for school. It is imperative that you check the availability calendar prior to applying. By limiting overlap of extern schedules, we can help you acquire the most from your experience at the zoo.
Externships at the Fort Wayne Children’s Zoo are unpaid positions. There is no housing or stipend offered by the zoo. Externs will work as volunteers for the duration of their externship. A paid position is not guaranteed at the completion of an internship.
The zoo staff is happy to provide necessary documentation for the student’s school/college credit.
Complete an application online. If you have questions, contact the Volunteer Manager at 260-427-6828 or firstname.lastname@example.org