Veterinary Technician Externship
The purpose of the veterinary technician externship is to introduce veterinary technician students to the specialty of zoo veterinary technology. The extern will assist the veterinarian and technician daily with procedures, treatments, hospital maintenance, etc.
- Assist veterinary staff with routine procedures (immobilizations, physical exams, treatments, etc) as well as emergency procedures.
- Assist veterinary technician with lab work (parasitology, urinalysis, preparing samples for outside laboratories).
- Assist with hospital maintenance (equipment cleaning, sterilization, inventory, etc).
- Care for animals (cleaning and feeding) in hospital holding/quarantine when needed.
- Enter data into MedArks program and file records.
- Dispense medications under supervision of the veterinary technician.
- Assist with necropsies.
- Responsibilities will be dependent on the applicant’s experience and skills.
- Minimally, applicants must be college students with a long term interest in zoo/wildlife medicine. Students enrolled in an accredited veterinary technology program are preferred.
- Students should be willing to learn, eager to create and complete projects and have a respect for wild animals. Students should also work well with others. It is preferred that the student have some previous animal experience.
- Applicants must be available to work at least 30 hrs/week (40 hrs/week preferred) and must be able to work a flexible schedule.
- A negative tuberculin test within the past year is required. Current rabies, hepatitis B, and tetanus vaccinations are recommended.
Externships are available all year. Externships will last a minimum of 4-6 weeks, depending on the students requirements for school.
Externships at the Fort Wayne Children’s Zoo are unpaid positions. There is no housing or stipend offered by the zoo. Externs will work as volunteers for the duration of their externship.
The zoo staff is happy to provide necessary documentation for the student’s college credit.
Complete an application online. If you have questions, contact the Volunteer Manager at 260-427-6828 or email@example.com